SUPERINTENDENT’S COVID-19 UPDATE #1
March 16, 2020
Dear Millburn Staff and Parents,
This will be the first of a series of regular updates as we all navigate this new realm of distance learning and social distancing together.
First, I want to thank all of you for your support in this enormous endeavor. It has been, and will continue to be a #TeamMillburnNJ effort.
In this fast-moving world, there have been some updates/announcements from the Governor today:
- As of this Wednesday, March 18, all schools in the state, PK-12 & Higher Education, will be closed, until it is deemed by health officials to be safe for in-person classes to resume.
- All non-essential retail, recreational & entertainment businesses must be close after 8:00 pm daily
- Gatherings of 50 or more people are banned
- Bars & restaurants are closed for eat-in services as of 8:00 pm tonight, and may only be open for takeout and delivery services.
- All movie theaters, gyms & gambling arenas are closed as of 8 pm
- Only essential businesses (gas stations, supermarkets, pharmacies, and medical services) may remain open after 8 pm.
- Starting tonight, all non-essential and non-emergency travel in New Jersey is strongly discouraged between the hours of 8:00 PM and 5:00 AM.
What does this mean for us? As the governor states, “We want everyone to be home – and not out.”
We know that this is difficult, but we ask that you follow these warnings for the good of all. Families need to stay home. This is not a time for group get-togethers and parties. This may come as a surprise, but we are recommending using technology and social media to stay in touch.
- The school district playgrounds are now closed for public safety.
- The high school track is open for exercise. Please use caution and stay the recommended 6 feet away from other walkers and runners.
- Our secretaries and administrators will be handling emails and telephones from home, and will respond in a timely manner. Please be patient.
We must take social distancing seriously for the greater good, and in the hope that this will bring a faster end to this crisis.
This social distancing simulation from the Washington Post provides a visual understanding of how social distancing will help us “flatten the curve.”
- We have created a dedicated COVID-19/Distance Learning website to provide information from the school district while we are closed. It has links to all of the school distance learning resources, as well as local, state and federal contacts, and articles on supporting your students in these unusual times. The site will be updated with new information as we receive it.
- If you have questions or concerns, please submit them to us here. We will compile the Frequently Asked Questions, and they will be posted on the COVID-19 website.
- Please be sure you have registered for SwiftReach alerts/announcements from Millburn Township. Mayor Lieberberg is contacting residents daily with updates from the town and health department.
- To update your contact/call information for SchoolMessenger, follow these instructions. I will be sending updates and information frequently, so please be sure you are on our lists.
Take this time to get rest, study and read, and drink plenty of fluids.
Stay safe and well.
Dr. Christine Burton
Superintendent of Schools
(973) 376-3600 (X40151)